Small Group Ministry: Covenant (Agreements)
Small Group Ministry is about being heard and about listening. We are here to
witness one another. In practice this means that we do not interrupt, engage in
cross talk, or have side conversations. Nor do we give advice, even out of
kindness. Sitting with the feelings of others, without judging or trying to fix
them, is where the real treasure is found. Thus, we agree to the following:
- Engage in careful and respectful listening. Try to understand the
underlying concerns and values of the speaker, whether you agree or
disagree. Listen with an open heart and mind.
- Maintain confidentiality. Do not share the experiences, stories, or
private information of anyone else in the group with others, now or in the
- Speak from your own experience. Use “I” statements, e.g. I
feel, I think, I am. Be mindful of staying on topic.
- Value your own experiences and opinions. Your insight is a gift to the
group. However, you always have the right to pass, or not speak.
- Help share time fairly. We all have the responsibility and privilege of
making the group work.
- Contact one of the coaches if you cannot attend a session. If you decide
to leave the group, please let one of the coaches know, so they can inform
the group. We ask you to share your reasons for leaving with one of the
- Arrive on time. If you are running late, call the church office at
978-448-6307 (daytime groups) or one of the coaches (evening groups).
- Turn all electronic devices off, or to silent mode, during meetings. Use
only in cases of emergency.
Follow this link to download
this Covenant in PDF format.
1 Powder House Road …
P.O. Box 457 …
Groton, MA 01450-0457 …
Most recently updated 2014-10-04